Part of Mayors Role is to lead, to propose initiatives to Council and to the community. Council, as a whole. are the ultimate decision makers.
Responsible, Accountable Governance
- Commit to work in a good way with Indigenous Peoples on our journey of reconciliation.
- Offer Mayor’s open office hours at least once a month.
- Work quickly and collaboratively with my council colleagues to fulfill our commitments to the community.
- Propose a review of discretionary expenses within city operations.
Community Safety for all
- Convene a Mayor’s Task Force on Community Safety and ask the Task Force for recommendations by end of January 2023.
- Advocate the city establish and fund 24/7 Crisis Outreach Teams
- Work with leaders across our valley for a Team Kamloops approach to advocating to our provincial and federal government partners for needed health and criminal justice reforms
- Support services for people with mental health challenges and addictions and to help minimize negative impacts on the community
- Advocate for end to “Catch and release” for repeat offenders.
Resilient, Profitable Businesses
- Advocate for green, creative and technology based industries, business practices, and jobs
- Support the expansion / attraction of a film studio and other businesses that build our tax base.
- Support keeping business regulation and permitting as streamlined as possible.
- Support regular measuring and monitoring of community climate action to ensure greenhouse gas reduction goals are met.
- Advocate for the acceleration of buildout of safe and efficient cycle path network.
- Propose a longer duration city hosted commuter challenge to support citizens who are exploring shifting to more active, healthy transportation.
Vibrant, Caring, and Connected Community
- Offer weekly Mayor’s recognition for random and non random acts of kindness and community building.
- Advocate for the promotion and enhancement of Kamloops’ outdoor recreation opportunities
- Support the building of a new arts centre and generating as much revenue as possible.
- Propose city convening a citizens assembly on housing supply and affordability in 2023.
- Involve Mayor’s office in actively recruiting health professionals
- Propose building a new youth and community centre.